Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Silversmith

My brother sent this story to me last night and it really ministered to me. He is supposed to send me the name of the person who wrote it, so until then it remains anonymous. Hope you enjoy it!

I heard a story today about a group of women in a Bible study trying to find the meaning in the parable of Jesus found in Malachi 3 . It reads in part: He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; He will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. As I did my research for this post, I found the story is somewhat of an urban legend. It was so poignant and relevant that I thought it was still worth sharing and I hope it blesses you!

The women in this Bible study wondered how the verse related to the character and nature of God. One of the women decided she would research the process of refining silver. The next week, she found a silversmith who agreed to allow her to observe his work. He never asked why.

The day had come. The woman carefully watched the silversmith as he held a piece of silver over the fire. He demonstrated and explained that it was important to hold the silver right in the middle of the fire, where the flames were hottest, as to burn away all the impurities.

The woman thought about the Bible study. Then she asked if he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined. The man answered yes; not only did he have to sit there, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left in the flames a moment too long, it could be destroyed.

The woman was silent. Then she asked the silversmith how he would know when the silver was fully refined. He smiled and said, "oh, that's easy - when I see my image in it".

Are you feeling the heat? Are you feeling refined? Are you feeling God?

No comments:

Post a Comment